In 1967 my father bought a Pontiac Catalina and a dingy old travel trailer and took his girlfriend, my brother and me on a road trip. Over the next 8 weeks we drove 13,498 miles, visited 51 parks, and saw wonders like geysers, redwoods, grizzlies, and the Summer of Love in San Francisco. The trip made an indelible impression, cementing my appreciation for the natural world and the American landscape. This summer Pamela and I hope to repeat the experience for our family.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dave: I am really looking forward to a vacation

Driving an average of 300 miles a day, or whatever we end up doing, is going to seem easy. We have all been working so hard to get ready for this trip.

We've got house sitters taking care of the house, and we're trying to make the place presentable for them. They have two little kids, ages 2 and 4, so Lark and Linden have to hack out some space in their rooms so the kids can be comfortable.

We're cleaning like crazy, and I have to find a way to make our various construction projects, inside and out, look less than hideous. The yard is littered with boulders and 200 pound flagstones from my wall project. Every single one of these rocks equates to a broken ankle for a two-year old. And our downstairs is crammed with every power tool known to carpenters, with about a quarter inch deep of sheet rock dust frosting the scene. I have to try to deal with all that today.

Most of my time seems to be spent as the IT manager for the trip. Between the two laptops, our new smart phone, our new MiFi, and three digital cameras, I am spending a couple hours every day wrangling with with software. But, what would a trip to a national park be without a pouch full of electronic gear?

Like I said, I'm really looking forward to driving 300 miles a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment