In 1967 my father bought a Pontiac Catalina and a dingy old travel trailer and took his girlfriend, my brother and me on a road trip. Over the next 8 weeks we drove 13,498 miles, visited 51 parks, and saw wonders like geysers, redwoods, grizzlies, and the Summer of Love in San Francisco. The trip made an indelible impression, cementing my appreciation for the natural world and the American landscape. This summer Pamela and I hope to repeat the experience for our family.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lark: How Can You Keep on Moving Unless You Migrate Too?

Telluride is a ghost town. In disguise. From the outside it appears to be a very hip, cool town. I was very intrigued I admit. As we walked around and peered in the shops it proved more and more that it was empty and unpromising. Telluride might be different in the winter, framed in ski mountains but on that rainy Thursday it was dissatisfactory.

Boulder was a different story. It was teeming of life and music. It looked as if we spent too much time there we would run out of things to do but otherwise it was quite lovely. I particularly enjoyed strolling along the Pearl Street Mall and listening to the various street musicians. There were nice vintage shops and sweet shops. I don't think I want to go to school there (we looked at the campus which was very nice) but I enjoyed boulder a lot and the people we met and saw there.

There has been an odd sensation that has been going on inside of me since this trip began. At the beginning it was faint but now it is more and more persistent. When I was littler I HATED, HAAAAATED riding in the car. Now I'm beginning to like it. I like to keep moving. Really. I have begun to not like stopping, while those things are beautiful and all for some reason I just like to keep moving. I am always antsy but seem calmer when we are in the car. It is a new feeling but I don't seem to mind it much. All I know is that the 40 minute to and from school will be a cinch when we get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment