In 1967 my father bought a Pontiac Catalina and a dingy old travel trailer and took his girlfriend, my brother and me on a road trip. Over the next 8 weeks we drove 13,498 miles, visited 51 parks, and saw wonders like geysers, redwoods, grizzlies, and the Summer of Love in San Francisco. The trip made an indelible impression, cementing my appreciation for the natural world and the American landscape. This summer Pamela and I hope to repeat the experience for our family.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Linden: Ferdinand the Peaceful Bison

I am a bison and my name is Ferdinand. I am sitting in a patch of lupines and tall weeds. I'm not a violent bison, so I'm slightly annoyed because my brother is always saying he's a wimp. Ferdinand just does not like to fight. Still, to impress my bother I have just knocked a man aside. My brother scoffed at me because there was no blood shed. And now I bear the burden of guilt for knocking over an innocent man.

I live among humans because that's where my ancestral grazing grounds are. When the humans came, I just refused to leave. my mother worries about me because she thinks some human is going to shoot me. But i think they are all too busy taking pictures to pull out a gun

I have been watching some crazy family go about their chores. They are not acting like the rest of the humans. For one thing, they keep singing. Also, they stand on logs and balance like cranes. Strangely, they seem to be having a good time as they go about acting oddly.

I keep munching on the sweet grass. I am not going to worry about the humans or my family for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment